Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

We have been asked by my art teacher to start thinking about what we want to do for our final art project. What it is, each of us needs to come up with an idea for a game, and promote it with 15 story boards. I have had a few ideas that Ihave already shot down as they were not something that could be easily promoted in this manner. I have narrowed my ideas down to 5, and would like any feedback that anyone has to offer. I will need to make a decision by sometime next week. My ideas are:

1) A game based on werewolves. There are plenty of games based on vampires, supported by numerous books and movies. Werewolves are just lurking around the edges of the multimedia world, and their brief appearances have been somewhat lackluster. As it has been documented throughout history, each ethinic society has had some form of myth that was related to the common werewolf: Africa had werehyenas; South America had werejaguars; and Siberia even had myths about weretigers. The player would be tracking down a pyschotic werewolf across the globe and would encounter the other types of werecreatures.

2) A game that would take place in both the future and the past. A serial killer is on the loose and is running through history killing people during major disasters (no wistnesses and no bodies to be found). You are chasing him down through disasters such as the Titanic, the burning of Chicago, and Pompii.

3) A game that uses all of the material that L. Frank Baum created for the land of Oz, but with a twist. In our world, some huge mega-corporation with it's own private army finds it way into Oz, and wants to take it over. You could play a character from either the good faction of Oz (Tin woodman, lionman, or Munchkin), the bad faction of Oz (a wicked witch, a flying monkee, or a Winkee ), or a member of the mega-corps army. Whichever side you pick will determine a set off objective based missions for you to take.

4) In this game, you are a cop who is chaing down a very bad person. You chase him into a skyscraper and during the chase, a huge fire breaks out (think of the movie "Towering Inferno"). As you are chasing him up the burning skyscraper, you will have to run rescue missions for trapped people, all the while dodging traps that the bad guy sets up for you. It would be a mission based/puzzle/action/adventure type game.

5) Grand theft Auto is the mother of all sandbox games. A sandbox game is a game that you can do anything you want in (just like in a sandbox). In the Grand Theft Auto games, you are either an ex-con, or part of the mafia. In Saints Row, you are a gang member. In Bully, you are a student in a private school. In my idea for a sandbox game, you are a gun for hire in Chicago in the 1920's. What would make this game different is that once you join a gang/mob, you can change sides and the missions that are available to you will change according to that. For example, if you were going to do a mission and the outcome would have been one thing, but you change sides before you do the mission, then the outcome becomes something else.

So ... those are my ideas.

Thoughts, anyone?

4 comments:

MrGibbage said...

I'm personally not a big fan of the fantasy/ultra-realistic games, so those don't appeal to me, but I tried to imagine the appeal to a much larger gaming audience when answering this. The storyboards will definitely help because a one paragraph description of something as complex as a game just doesn't cut it, so that makes it even harder to give you an answer. All that being said, I personally would probably like to play game number five. I see the potential for a lot of different vignettes, character and story development, and a relatively simple game user interface. Hth.

David said...

I have talked with my friends, and most of them lean towards the werewolf idea. There have been many versions of vampires, but the last one on werewolves was Altered Beast. Apperently my idea for number 5 (the gangsters) was already done and called Mafia. As I have a week to think about it, I will see about coming up with some other ideas as well.

BTW ... did you know that your blog tag is a computer game? Well, at least Gibbage is? You can read all about it at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbage

ldyorion77 said...

Hey there!
So...my vote is for the werewolf game. Although I don't play many games, I am always in attendance when Don is playing them (I act as the "hey watch your health" and "you need to reload" person), I think this could be fun if given the right twists and turns and things it could prove to be fun! The one idea I came up with is that at obvious points in the game (full moon etc.) your character actually turns and during that time you must act as the beast and feed, kill, terrorize causing your mission to be compromised and whatever points you had decrease. Then after returning to man-form he has to try to recapture those lost points or such. Just be careful it doesn't echo Van Helsing too closely. Anyway, keep us up to date on what you choose and how you would do it okay? Much love Kelly

MrGibbage said...

I gave myself that nickname back when I was working on my master degree. I was playing *A LOT* of video games then, and yes, I knew what gibbage was. That's why I gave myself the name. Just don't ask if I was the one CREATING the gibs (by blowing someone else up), or if I was the source of the gibbage (as when I was blown up)