Thursday, September 3, 2009


Since I have posted, but I have been pretty busy. I am finding that I made the right choice in picking what I wanted to do in school as me 3D Character and Animation class is extremely exciting. And to think, I thought about going to school to be a chef!


So ... let me say that I am learn a LOT about 3D animation. I earned an interesting lesson the hard way the other day when I tried to render (or finalize) part of my project. I have to make a 30-60 second animation, and as a test, I thought I would render just a small part of it to see how long it would take. I sat at the computer for about an hour watching and waiting, reading a book, watching some more ... and after about an hour of thinking that surely it must almost be done ... it was only on frame 3! Yikes ... My project will be about 900 frames long, and after doing some quick math discovered that it will take about 2 weeks for it to render! OUCH! So, I was up until 3:30 A.M. reworking my mouse. It seems I had too many hairs on the lil guy. So at the current settings I have on him, my project will now render in ... 24hrs. Not TOO bad. If I leave his fur off, it will render in 3hrs. So now I have lots of choices to make. One of the choices that I have is trying to use a picture of fur instead of real fur. Let me tell you that Pickles was not being very cooperative with me when I tried to take some pictures of her fur up close.


Anyway, another thing that I had to do was animate a ball bouncing through a room. I am not quite done with it, but I will post it here for you to see. Not bad for my first try at 3D animation, huh? Erm ... it is too big to load here right now. I will have to try a few things.


I also redid the room that I first posted, trying to make it look more realistic.
Well ... Grades so far, although imcomplete (why do teachers take so long to post grades?!?!?), are as follows:
College Writing I: 157/170 (92.35)
3D Modeling and Animation: 369/380 (97.11)
College Algebra II: 209/230 (95%)
So, that is about it ... will post more when I have it!

1 comment:

Skip said...

Yeah, I definitely remember spending A LOT of time rendering my animation projects for school. Funny.. we did a bouncing ball too to start out. :)