Thursday, July 31, 2008

Truth to tell ...

I am extremely excited about school (duh!), but at the same time a tad on the afraid side. I tried college once and failed miserably. Granted, I am a different person now than I was 20 years ago, but the memory of it is still there. I do have an awesome wife I can lean on in times of need, and a great mother who cheers me up who lives only 30 minutes away ... but there is still that tiny little monster that is gnawing at me.

One other thing that I am afraid of is that although I took art through all my years at high school, I haven't drawn in since then (20 years). I will say that I do remember that me and my siblings have all been good at drawing. I can remember seeing Skip and Carrie doing some drawings tha were quite good, as well as Deborah did an ink picture for mother when she came for a visit once. I also remember having two books for drawing animals that I did pictures from, doing sharks and girraffes quite well. So I know that I COULD do it ... but can I STILL?

Well ... the art book I have for my drawing class says that we fear what other people think of our art. Actually, BEFORE that it tells us that people new ot the field think that they don't need to know how to pencil draw as it is all done on the computer, but this is not true (I will have to do conceptual art as well as story boards). As important as it is to be able to draw in this field, how can I NOT be a little afraid of what people will think of my drawings? So maybe that crappy professor I had the first time I tried college is right this time around ... going to have to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

My plan for practicing will be quite simple, really. There are a bunch of books out there for drawing. Until I get into the full swing of it again, I will be borring some of these books from friends of mine, from the library, and starting my own little collection as well. My school book lists some good exercices such as doing 30 second sketches of people and things to just get ideas down on paper, and tehn you can go back and flesh out the ideas ... I tried it a couple of times already and my 30 seconds turned out to be more like 2 minutes, but it's a start.

So ... once we get my scanner and I get some drawings going, I will put them up. I am not going to let myself be afraid of what people here think of them as I hope for some constructive criticism, and also to be able to look back at this see how I have (hopefully) progressed.

Anyhoo ... gotta go fix dinner now ... see you all around!

No comments: