Sunday, October 19, 2008

A new term has started

And boy it feels different than the last. In my last term, 2 of my courses felt like sluff classes from the get-go. Looking at the syllabus for my classes this term, well ... it's not that I am worried, but one of my classes the final project is 50% of my grade. A lot of my classes are low scoring classes, so if I mess anything up I can be in trouble.

I may have botched up my first quiz this term. Last term, the one class that had weekly quizes all of the questions were in chronological order according to the blook. This term I ahve 2 classes that have quizes, and the questions include information from the lectures. So the first quiz I took I was not quite prepared for that, and I will find out my grade for it tomorrow. So when I took my next quiz in the next class, I was more prepared this time, and missed one question out of 30. So I am feeling good about that.

The big thing that I have to do this term is make a 10-30 second animated short using flash. For my first assignment I had to write an outline of what it is to be. Here it is:

“Why cats cannot be rescue animals”

I have a niece who just had her 5th birthday, and she has a cat named Gus. We asked her if Gus had gotten her anything for her birthday, and she looked at us and scrunched up her face and said: “Don’t be silly. Cat’s don’t have pockets!” And the way she said it, she said it as if that explained it all. With that in mind, I dedicate this to her and all cat lovers.

1. Train zooming along in wooded, mountainous country
2. Pauline tide to the train tracks screaming for help
3. *zoom out* Pickles sitting along the train tracks next to Pauline, twitching her tail about
4. *zoom in on Pauline’s face* Pauline begs Pickles for help
5. *camera on Pickles* Pickles remains seated, but lifts her leg and starts licking her backside
6. *camera on Pauline* Pauline growls and frustration and yells at Pickles for help
7. *close up of Pickles face* Pickles stops licking herself, look up at Pauline and says “I can’t help you. I don’t have pockets.”
8. Full shot of Pickles, Pauline, and train getting closer. Pickles walks off-screen as the train barrels in on Pauline who has question marks popping up all over her head.
9. Fade out and we hear a big SPLAT as Pauline gets ran over by the train.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Skip said...

Oh, I missed this one somehow. Hmmm. Anyway, while I think it's admirable that you want to dedicate this animation to your niece, I wonder if people watching it will "get it". I think it's cute and all, but I don't know how much of the class is graded on content, or is this class strictly about the animation and learning flash?

If you want the animation to appeal to more people, I'd just go with something like Pauline is tied on the tracks, Pickles is sitting there grooming and licking and just being a cat and carefree and all, even though there's a train quickly approaching. The train noises get louder and louder, Pauline gets more and more excited, but Pickles couldn't care less. At the very last second, zoom the camera out and you can see that there's a second set of tracks and the train is actually on that set. Pauline asks Pickles how did he (she???) know the train was on the other track? Pickles answers, "I didn't, but once I get to licking my butt, I just can't stop" (or something funny that only a cat would say, because my puchline was dumb). But you get the picture.

David said...

My teacher pretty much said the same thing, that the inside joke is nice and all, but who would get it or understand it?

I am thinking that she might say something instead like "I would if I could, but I don't have opposable thumbs." And then have question marks appear over Pauline's head as we fade out.